WingCash Forum

Anonymity versus Privacy

Wikipedia says that the word anonymous is derived from the greek word anonymia meaning “without a name” or “namelessness”. Wikipedia says privacy, on the other hand, comes from the Latin privatus meaning “the ability of an individual or group to seclude themselves, or information about themselves, and thereby express themselves selectively.”

A relevant example of selective expression is shown with LinkedIn. I noticed that some individuals on LinkedIn visit my profile but the information about the visitor says “This member chose to be shown as anonymous”.

Certainly S/he is not really anonymous–LinkedIn knows the true identity of the person that visited my profile.

I favor a payment system that supports privacy rather than one that allows allows “anonymity” or “namelessness”. A payment system that supports privacy is one that requires participants to identify themselves while also allowing the participant the ability to selectively express or share certain information as illustrated in the LinkedIn example above.

WingCash allows a regulated Financial Institution that facilities a payment transfer between parties to be able to truly identify both sender and receiver. However, WingCash also allows the send and/or receiver to selectively express or share certain information about the transfer.

1 Like